Saturday 20 August 2011

Shadow Shot Sunday

Two whole weeks have just disappeared like the speed of light and I haven't ........ posted on Shadow Shot Sunday that is! Shame on me! But this week I took the day off and went chasing shadows around Shrewsbury Quarry!


There's a wooden board just as you go in which gives you a potted history of how it all came about! During the 14th century, the Dingle Garden was actually just a wet quarry hole consisting of poor quality red sandstone and the gardens were developed over a period of time. In 1647, Mrs Foxhall was burned at the stake there for poisoning her husband! (All you who are rotten cooks beware - Thank the Good Lord for Gordon Ramsey, Nigella Lawson and Delia she says! )
 Anyway, moving on ......


Come and walk with me along Victoria Quay - the old cabin cruiser is still moored up along the bank. Look how it reflects in the water of the Severn


Or take a laid back cruise along the river. I really want to do that one day!


Look at the ducks, they're in no hurry...


Autumn's right on our door step. Everywhere underneath the trees, a deepening mass of crackly copper bronze leaves and brittle seeds.


Let's walk along the pathway


See how the sun has cast a shadow on the peeling paintwork.


Look you can see the Shoemaker's Arbour just across the lake.


And take in the reflection on a tiny inlet.


And trace the shadow of the ferns and the narrow bendy tree.
 I've loved your company. Thank you so much.
Happy Shadow Shot Sunday

18 comments:

  1. Do you live in Shrewsbury? It`s a lovely part of the country...great shadows and reflections!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love taking walks with you....I especially love that pond.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a perfectly lovely place to spend an afternoon--or several days!


    IF I HAD A SHADOW

    If I had a shadow as big as the sky,
    I never would fear, and I’ll tell you why:

    My shadow would save me from dragons and things
    That fly in the night with terrible wings;

    My shadow would keep me away from the beast
    That sniffs in the west and sniffs in the east

    Hungry for children who play all alone,
    Hoping to feast upon blood, upon bone;

    My shadow would be my protector and knight
    To keep fear at bay, to banish all fright.

    I’m so glad my shadow is always nearby,
    Though it’s not nearly as big as the sky!


    © 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

    Shadows in hoofprints and stone

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have loved to have gone on that walk with you. We have a Severn River in Ontario as well. Hmm...sounds like a day trip to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As usual, beautiful shots.

    Molly, find the time and take the cruise. What are you waiting for.

    I have made a few dinners that would have qualified me to have been burnt at the stake in those times.

    Arleen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankyou, I so enjoyed your lovely walk, you always make it seem as though we are really there. 0x0-x0

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was a great walk Molly. I honestly wish, like the others, that I could have been there with you. Lovely pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. thank you Molly for taking me on this lovely walk with you. time does fly doesn't it? and yes, we too have the collections of coppery brittle leaves under the trees. these days are summer's last gasp, with shorter daylight hours and longer nights with cooling temps. soon it will be sweater weather, which I'm actually looking forward to! I love that someone made the Dingle Garden from a quarry. there are so many of them here, with water filling in and left to nothing but scarred cliffs/land. I think it's a grand idea, and it turned out to be a beautiful spot. I hope you're having a relaxing weekend Molly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. After Yorkshire, Shropshire is surely England's loveliest county. Thanks for taking me on a pleasant Sunday stroll. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Delightful Molly - perhaps , one day, I will make it back to Shropshire and you can show me the true Shrewsbury.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cruise looks fun - nice to get a different perspective of the banks from the river. Love those ferns alongside the lake's edge.

    The sun on the bench has created an intriguing shadow.

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. We still haven't roamed the quarry together.
    Your gorgeous photos make me all the keener to go and wander about.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks so much for your comments - they always chuff me up!
    Annabelle - we live about 17 miles the Welsh side of Shrewsbury.
    Amy - I wish you and everybody else could have been there too - that would have been wonderful!
    Sue - I'd love to show you around Shrewsbury again!

    Friko - we haven't! Actually my favourite time is in April/May when all the blossom and spring bulbs are out - it would be great to meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That was a pretty walk, Molly.

    Very calming, walking by a river.

    Suddenly Autumn is right in front of us. How did that happen so quickly?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice compositions and your photos, too.

    Regards!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Molly - love your pics and the trip around the Dingle through another set of eyes - Shrewsbury is great - so many secret places - have a great week - Jane xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Molly - Love your header - what a sunset!! - take care - B is hoping to do a bit at the Steam Rally this weekend !!

    ReplyDelete