Thursday 31 January 2019

Log Fires and Below Zero



I had a good day yesterday. A local farmer came with his Landrover and brought me a trailer load of logs. Must have been well over a ton. He dropped them on the driveway outside my back door and then waved good bye. Hard working farmers are always busy.

 I got my wheelbarrow and started to ferry them across the lawn into  the nearest polytunnel. And then the heavens opened and didn't it rain. It took me just over an hour to stack them all in the dry. Wet through to the skin but so chuffed to get the job completed. 

Not so long after the sun came out for a few moments - (yeah I know) - and brought with it the most fabulous sunset. Two gifts in one day.





I woke up this morning to minus 6 and ice on the insides of my window.




Like this



                                    and this

But soon had my Rayburn lit and a roaring log fire in my 'front room'

All toasty.
It was a good day yesterday.

12 comments:

  1. That was a wonderful gift. Nevertheless, a lot of trips to the polytunnel to get them under cover! Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done you for shifting all the wood and well done the farmer for giving it to you. No need for firewood here at present. It has been mid 30's over the past week - forecast for mid to late 20's next week.

    Keep warm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love a log fire Moll, especially looking at your heating oil graph.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love my log fires. This place would be freezing without them.

      Delete
  4. Hello, Molly. Will you drop me a line at jnoragon@gmail.com, please. I'd like to be in touch with you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Molly,
    The other day I came across this interesting site and it reminded of your posts of shadows. Do take a look.
    https://www.futilitycloset.com/2019/06/04/light-and-shadow-2/
    Hope all is well in your neck of the woods.
    All is well here, except my bones are a little older.
    Regards
    Bernard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey get you! Bernard lovely to hear from you. Glad you're OK. Have had a look at the light and shadow site -it's really good.
      I haven't done a post for 6 months - shame on me. I have my house on the market at the moment - my bones are getting older as well.

      Delete
    2. Good luck with your move Molly. I really ought to do something similar. House too big for one, garden too big for one to manage, but... maybe tomorrow? I still get around to rallies and things. The only time I get to Shropshire is to camp up at Bridgnorth to 'play' on the Seven Valley Railway. I miss all the blogging and blog friends, but I'm so busy out of doors these days.
      Take care - and good luck.
      Bernard x

      Delete