Monday 2 December 2013

All the way to Hereford


We went down to Hereford last week. When I'm somewhere where I'm not sure of my bearings, I take a picture of the street where I'm starting out - I find it helps you to find your way back.


We were near to Hereford Cathedral. The wrought iron and


the architecture were just amazing.


A heavy studded wooden door from the Cloister Cafe led out into a small courtyard.


A saint in the garden - but I don't know which one. An ancient stone too.


  We went back through the narrow passage way to the library. (Not allowed to take photos in there) But we saw 13th century Mappa Mundi - Map of the world as it was understood then. Went through the chained library. The books were chained on the shelves by their spines. Learnt a little of the history.   The cathedral had  been built as a dedication to St Ethelbert who was beheaded by King Offa. 
Hereford Cathedral link can tell it better than I can.


We wandered down into the crypt. Stone cold in Hereford




We were told how the cathedral had flourished on the wool trade. The colours of the wool displayed in a glass case were beautiful.


 As were the stained glass windows.


We stood on the bridge and watched the rolling waters of the Wye


in the November sunshine.

31 comments:

  1. Beautiful shots......"stone cold in Hereford"...there's a quote for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fortunate you are, Molly, to live in a country that has such a long history and you can see visit and see such marvelous sights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like a postcard, such saturated color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun on the river was fantastic - the pic was just as-is.

      Delete
  4. I've never visited Hereford. The cathedral looks superb; love those carved gravestones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the first time I visited Hereford too - a lot to see and take in.

      Delete
  5. Wonderful Mollly - thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oops - I see I gave you an extra "l"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would really love to visit Hereford someday :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd have a good day there too.

      Delete
  8. Beautiful. Your saint reminds me of an old fashion Santa, or whatever they called the Christmas elf way back then. There is something about old, cold stone that draws one to seek out the history. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Bonnie. I asked if he had a particular name, but they didn't know. They said he was donated at the end of a sculpting exhibition way back so it could well have been St Nicholas, you never know.

      Delete
  9. A place I have never been to..... Your photos have made me want to go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never been there before either - but it's a great day out. I'd like to go again in the summer, they have quite a few things going on there.

      Delete
  10. Hereford is an interesting town. The Mappa Mundi alone is worth a visit. And what’s more, it has one or two decent hostelries for a lunch break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I'm glad we paid to go in and see it - so interesting

      Delete
  11. It's so beautiful and I must remember that tip of taking a photo of the street you are in before wandering around in an unknown area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We took pics when we went our last holiday - the route we followed and the street names -(the poor man (woman's) sat nav - but it worked

      Delete
  12. I've always wanted to go to Hereford and see the Mappa Mundi. You had a good weather for your visit there. It looks so peaceful by the river.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The weather was brilliant. It did get a little bit cold during the afternoon, but well worth a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Some day, some day. Your photos were beautiful. Here visiting from Joanne at the Cup on the Bus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Susan - thank you so much for your comment and following my blog. Joanne's my blogging friend too.

      Delete
  15. This looks beautiful! I will put it on my list pf places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this, Molly. I love Hereford, but it's ages since I've been there, so i really enjoyed having my own memories jogged by your lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  17. We were very fortunate with the weather. I''d never been to Hereford before but would love to go again sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks a very nice place, and I love the views of the river.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love the colors of the wool, they're much more vibrant than dyes we see today. Then one of the next pictures was the stained glass and it matched the wool--very pretty. And of course, the fall leaves. Nice!

    ReplyDelete