Friday 12 July 2013

Floral


I love scented flowers. We have a honeysuckle plant clambering up the wall outside our back door.  I don't know how it came to be there. Perhaps the birds dropped a seed a few years back. Honeysuckle grows where it will and early this morning, the perfume was breathe-it-all-in intoxicating.


Last October, I sowed some sweet pea seeds from a few pods left over from the previous flowers. Surprisingly enough, quite a few of them germinated and I planted them out in the poly tunnel. They've been flowering steadily for the last three weeks.  Picked another fresh bunch this morning to put in my kitchen. Don't they boost your morale. The scent is wonderful.

Loads of Astrantia and daisies out in my garden. They smell  a bit pungent, but  look nice, so I can forgive them for that.



This rose has been growing in our garden for over sixty years. My O/H remembers it when he used to walk past on his way to primary school. It's a rambler and grows alongside the cast iron gate leading on to the single track road. It's double pale pink and the perfume is out of this world. No idea what it's called.


The two roses below, I bought from Woolies when they were in business. They're climbers. The red one is called Red Windsor. The petals have a deep velvety feel and the perfume is gorgeous. The pink one is a climber too and grows on the side of the little garage. Can't remember the name? They seem to grow every year come what may.

Why do they sell those soulless, un-perfumed, cellophane wrapped bunches in supermarkets and at petrol stations. I hate them.

21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I like them too. The ones outside are just coming in to flower.

      Delete
  2. Our Night-Scented Stock is now in flower, and perfuming the whole place after dark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom, so glad they grew, after all that cold and rain - the fragrance is gorgeous, I love them.

      Delete
  3. I know what you mean. Those plants that are perennials in my area are the only fragrant flowers. Those that are annual and last for five month seldom have any scent. The honeysuckle is the best and I have them all bordering my backyard. For three weeks to a month, the smell is so wonderful and lifts my spirits. I wish they lated all summer. Unfortunately, I usually only have my roses in spring and fall. It is too hot and the sun so hot that I get nary a bloom in the summertime. However, I am grateful for them and their scent when they are in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The drenching fragrance of honeysuckle is lovely - it grows wild on the hedges or anywhere here. The bees love it.

      Delete
  4. When in Shropshire, we had a perennial sweet pea growing by the front door. It came up each year, and was so bushy that one could shape it like a hedge. The scent was superb, I wonder if it's still available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got a perennial sweet pea growing against the wooden summer house. You just cut them down when they've finished flowering and they grow again the following year. I bought some seeds from the Wem Sweet Pea Society at the Llangollen Show a couple of years ago so they're still about.

      Delete
  5. This is one of those posts where I usually wish there was a scratch and sniff - but all I have to do is go outside and I am enveloped in similar scents - and, just like you, I revel in it! Honeysuckle, roses, sweetpeas and the rest. So often my keen nose is a curse, but at this time of year I rejoice in it all, quietly, because my poor husband can't smell them at all, bless him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even in the hot (scorching) weather we're having - it's a lovely time of year. It's a shame your O/H can't smell the flowers, but some of the farm yard smells aren't quite as nice so he's lucky as far as that goes.

      Delete
  6. Your flowers look delightful and I am sure smell wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue. Your garden is lovely too.

      Delete
  7. I think scent is one of the great pleasures of a garden.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your garden is lovely. I miss being able to enjoy the scent of flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. that's sad - a lot of people seem to have bad hay fever here this year - the weather conditions have pushed the pollen count way up - not nice.

      Delete
  9. Oh how I wish I would smell all of these. I think my absolute favorite scent of summer is a field of honeysuckles...pure heaven.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honeysuckle's one of my favourites too. It's very heady and the bees are in Bee Heaven too.

      Delete
  10. And even worse, why do they breed so many rose varieties that have no scent? Grrr! Honeysuckle, sweet peas and roses are some of the most wonderful plants in the garden and the scents are out of this world. I can smell them from here, Molly. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm enjoying the look of our garden as many new flowers have appeared since we've been away - roses, daisies, sweet peas, clematis, geraniums and the night scented stocks are still going strong. Honeysuckle in our daughter's garden - wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your daisies. Scented roses are the best. Climbers are like weeds and ours need vigorous pruning.

    ReplyDelete