Monday, 24 September 2012

Fruity Mistfulness of September 24th 2012

Today
It rained all night. The brook at the bottom of the single track road from our house was flooded again. A blocked drain higher up the track sent a tide of muddy brown water and stones hurtling down towards the Pwllbuchan Brook, cutting the ravine in the road a little bit deeper and a little bit wider. A raging torrent grey foam, mud and shale, spat water on to the road where brash and broken branches had blocked the tunnels of the little bridge on the corner. The last time it flooded like this was at the end of April.
Flood April 20012
We had to go out. My Other Half had a hospital appointment in the afternoon. He'd been to Welshpool earlier in the morning only to find the road flooded when he came back. He parked the Astra (his car with  bits of straw, spare battery, jump leads and half a lawnmower in the back) in the layby halfway up the Mill Bank and waded  back through to the house, soaked to the skin. We hung on as long as we could and then decided to chance it. He had waders, I had my black wellies. He hit upon the bright idea of me putting my feet in a couple of dustbin bags inside my wellies and pulling them up wader style as I paddled. It sort of worked until I had to hold the bag of dry clothes I was carrying up higher and the refuse bags succumbed to the water filling both my wellies to overflowing. We made it across the stream to our neighbour's field, climbed over the gate and chugged on up the hill. I changed into a dry pair of jeans, socks and shoes by the hedge. The sheep didn't care anyway and by that time, neither did I. We had to pick his medication up from the surgery on the way.


.When we got there, we found a notice pinned to the door - DUE TO ILLNESS WE HAVE NO DOCTOR THIS MORNING. Ah well! Picked up the prescription. Flood on road to Shrewsbury and had to make a detour down a windy road round the middle of nowhere. This idiot road hog inconsiderate driver passed us, driving about 30 miles an hour through flood water spraying it up like a jet ski . Unfortunately O/H had the car window down as he drove by and we were soaked. We did get to the hospital on time and he did have his blood test. AND the water had gone down just enough to drive through when we got home. The thought of wet clothes and wading through icy sewage-y water twice in the day was not something I relished. Thank you God.

20 comments:

  1. I can;t believe the weather you have been having. I think the person up the street needs to be checking his drain so it doesn;t block up and compromise your road.

    I can only imagine how horrible that walk through the "river" was.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you are back safely - we were looking at the Rea Brook down our way and wondered about your water circumstances - hoping you were the right side of the flow!! not like last time heh!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check that your blog title does not contravene any rules, Moll, but aside from that, I think you need to get an Astra with a snorkel exhaust. I believe they are called 'Land-Rovers'. Every time I get my kit off in front of Welsh sheep, they run a mile. Once bitten, twice shy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My field is dreadfully flooded too!
    one old chicken was so wet and cold I had to bring her in for a towel rub!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If your road belongs to some entity that must repair it they should be interested in seeing to its safety. We would call that our township road department here, and they would be out to clear an underpass over a small bridge and whatnot to keep the area safe. Asking for help from officials can work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh dear Molly, hope the final outcome at hospital with the blood test was good.

    I was talking to my aunt in Wrexham yesterday (her birthday) and she was saying how wet it has been and she had the heating on already which, apparently, never happens this early in the year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my oh my miss molly! An adventure to last you for awhile or until the creek floods again. Raging it was too! Stay dry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You certainly have had a terribly wet year. The trip that you and hubby had to take sounds quite dangerous. I understand that you had no choice but to go, What a difficult day you had. Hopefully, GB will dry up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an adventure. Twice in one year.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Goodness what terrible rain you and John Gray are having. We seem to have dodged it here in Somerset.
    I hope you don't both take a chill now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yikes, you take care Molly.....very brave battling those floods, and how stupid some drivers are....and then no doctor, so glad it all ended okay. Hope you get good results from the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So sorry to hear your struggles because of the bad weather Molly. We had such a good time in Wales last week, especially because it was dry, but we're so aware that this is not always the case. While we were there we went to visit two aunts who are 90+ years old (by bus). We're also aware how difficult it can be travelling from village to village and to places of need such as shops and doctors.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What can one say! I suppose that as long as your actual house isn't flooded, then you're better off than some. I'm going along with Tom.... time for a Lland Rover bach..

    ReplyDelete
  14. "Come hell or high water, we shall make it to the hospital"
    And they did. On time too.
    Bugger about that idiot splashing your car as he drove past.
    Did you have a lovely hot shower when you finally got home?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a day you had, Molly. I'm glad you made it there and back safely, even if you did get so very wet. WE stayed put on top of our Welsh hill, but even on Wednesday, by which time I HAD to go out, here was a lot of surface water on the roads. Surely there can't be much more up there by now.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to comment. Life is a bit hectic with one thing and another at this moment in time. The upside of the flood is that it brought tons of small stones and shale with it and deposited them on the road. It's brilliant stuff for getting cuttings to root and making paths, filling pot holes, etc so I've been busy with my jeep spade and barrow, transporting it back up to the house - all for a little bit of elbow grease.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh Molly,it couldn't have got any worse for you could it! The black binliners must have seemed a good idea at the time:-)

    The weather has been appalling in some parts of the country. Here in the east we seem to have got away it to a certain extent but it feels very chilly in the evenings.

    Hope you are all dried out now.

    Jeanne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh dear, I was really with you mentally as you made your trip. This kind of thing can just take over your life. I think the surgery could at least have called those who had appointments, though, if the doctor was not able to attend. :(
    You have had a tough time of it with flooding this year.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I remember that day. I had to get to Craven Arms and I really took my life in my hands. Not everybody got through.

    It's all over again, just mist and fog and drizzle now. This valley is dreadful, the fog hangs around all day.

    ReplyDelete