Thursday 4 August 2011

'Slow Down ...You Move Too Fast ......'

.......' gotta make the morning last' .....D'you remember that old Simon & Garfunkel song from way back? The last two bits of blogs I've posted have been about technology. (This is the last on that subject I promise) When that song was top of the hit parade ('Hit Parade?' Gordon Bennett I feel old)  a 'blackberry' was something you picked off a thorn bush and it made the tips of your fingers go purple. Tumblr was something you dried your clothes in and Flickr was the name of somebody's horse in one of those old Western movies that claimed about 75% of our viewing time. You tube was something you mended when your bike had a puncture. And yet it's such a privilege to be living in an era where technology has moved on like in no other century?  For me, it almost feels like having a foot in each camp. I used to listen in (under the bed clothes) to Radio Luxembourg and Radio Caroline on a transistor radio. I had a Dansette record player and an armful of vinyl LP's and EP's and 45's. You could get them  to play the record of your choice through headphones in a booth in store, before purchasing  and now you can listen to it over and over on WE 7 and such like without having to.
I was fascinated today - the tiniest snail I've ever seen was making his way up an Aquilegia  leaf. He was about half the size of my little finger nail and didn't he move! The wind was blowing quite hard and he hung on like grim death. I had to take this video. My O/H thinks I'm barmy and he could well be right. Technology is fantastic, but we could never emulate what nature does without trying.






What do you think?

20 comments:

  1. Needs some sound - 'Weeeeeeeee' 'Heheheeeee' 'Ooooooooo' 'Aghhhhhhh'

    Nice to post some often overlooked but wonderful details from the garden Molly.

    You probably are barmy, Molly, but that's ok by me.;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I remember that song well. I was feeling very happy one day, cleaning my first car (Hillman Imp) on the road outside my parents house. with that song playing through the window, when my Mums grumpy neighbour stomped across the road and said "I can hear that right across the road!".
    How funny the things you remember!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ps I have not the faintest clue what Tumblr is!
    nor, I suspect, do I need it :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kath - 'Slow down you're moving too fast in your Hillman Imp (lol)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tumblr is a site where our grandchildren put up a number of photos and very short posts on different subjects in a short space of time. Personally I like old Blogger and the keyboard conversations we all have with each other, but there are some quite interesting articles on Tumblr. Someone had written a good literary piece which I enjoyed reading

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sort of reminds me of myself. Treading along in life, sometimes slowly, but bound and determined to get somewhere. I might fall off, but glad I made the trip.

    To tell you the truth, I am glad that I have one foot in the past and one in today. Yesterday is comforting, and today is challenging; however, it keeps my mind interested. It is definitely a whirlwind of change and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arleen - you are so like me and I must be so like you

    ReplyDelete
  8. The fabulous thing is Molly, through technology, you got to share the amazing tenacity of that tiny creature.
    Like you..I think we have the best of the best, standing with one foot in each world!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I think you are right Molly. We old girls sill have spunk. To add to that, we are still gorgeous creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That little guy has quite the speed. Now squish him before he eats your garden.
    It is amazing the changes we have seen in our lifetimes isn't it? Not all for the good but definitely interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. After I read this Molly I looked over at MUm 91..has no idea how to turn the computer on let alone us it...will this be me in 30 years as my daughter uses something not yet invented?how scary...the best thing is though I honestly think we lived through the best music,go into the supermarket and we can sing along ,that is everyone over 30 lol.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Molly, I understand your point. I start each day watching hummingbirds feeding on our deck and I so admire their single focus and why they must feed to maintain that tachycardic heart rate. It is humbling really just like the snail. Olive

    ReplyDelete
  13. ha! you crack me up Molly. barmy? love the word, and if your are, so be it. who cares? that snail video is the cat's meow. happy Friday to you Molly!!! thanks for the chuckles.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Molly - just loved the snail video - he really had to hang on tight in that wind.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know it sounds strange, but he's a cute little guy, haha. My nephew loved snails and all of us were always on the lookout for those things. ONe time he lose on in the grass and cried all day. NIce video. You have a steady hand.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I thought he was a cute little guy too. Bless your little nephew Amy, he sounds a little treasure. Delores I couldn't squash him, I couldn't.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Molly just catching up with my blogging friends - I love that little snail to bits - surely a lift to the spirits - and I have browsed a little on the site mentioned in your previous blog - I will go back and have another look - have a good week - Janexx

    ReplyDelete
  18. mThankyou so much for the memories Olive. Now I am away to Prune our shrubs, Reg. is putting in the sweetpea plants. Nice warm sunny Winter day here. Love. 0x0x0

    ReplyDelete
  19. I tried commenting when I first read this but it wouldn't have it.

    This brought back so many memories.... in fact I was only thinking about Radio Luxembourg recently in the shower. I was using a new shower gel and the smell just reminded me of Aqua Manda perfume. It was advertised all the time on the radio along with Hi Karate after shave.

    ReplyDelete