Wednesday 24 August 2011

Baby Blue


This is my car. It's the first car I've ever owned in my life, chosen by me, with my name on the registration document, my name on the insurance documents, my name on the MOT certificate and my name on the cheque book that bought it. I've owned it now for 2 years and it's my pride and joy. Our grand daughter has been staying with us for the past month. We took her home today. She lives just the other side of Chester, about sixty miles away. We'd parked outside her house and were waving fond goodbyes, turned the ignition key - dead as a dodo. Not a bleep. Not a peep! My Other Half turned the ignition key four or five times - nothing! 'It's the Distributor cap - I'm sure it's the Distributor cap - I'd better take it off and have a look!' 'And perhaps you'd better not!' By this time I was already dialling the Road Rescue on my mobile. 'We'll be with you within the hour. What's your mobile number?' In an emergency can you reel off your mobile number just like that? In all honesty I haven't got a clue what mine is. But he said it didn't matter because the number had come up on the screen and he'd got all the details .... Other Half was cheerfully envisaging it being towed off to the scrap yard or a bill of at least £1,000 to put it right. Anyway, true to his word, the RAC man was there on the hour. He drove up along side, took one look, said, 'Try the key again.' The engine started up on the first turn and purred like a self satisfied pussy. 'Ahem, I think you might have flooded the engine. Give me a bell if you get stuck again on the way home.' We got home safe and I still love my Focus!

11 comments:

  1. I know how you feel. I am fairly independent until I have car trouble then I panic a little bit. Joe never panics he just rattles off what he thinks is wrong and he is usually correct. He is a very competent mechanic to some degree. I cannot even change a flat tire! I am glad your Focus is okay and nothing costly was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Molly, so glad your Focus is fine. I know just how you feel. I panic if anything goes wrong with the car. I like the colour as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly bless your heart! all is well that end well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thank goodness.....remember, new cars aren't like the old ones. You don't put your foot on the gas before you turn the key. I can't tell you how many times I did that before I got out of the habit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Molly,
    Glad you had a happy ending. More times than not, it is the battery, and sometimes if you let it alone for awhile,it is oK.

    I know what you mean when you say it is totally your car. My license plate # is "She Paid". Have had it for 2 cars now, get many comments, but more than that, I am one proud lady. Maybe you could get that for yours, if it is not taken in the UK.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Molly, we know the feeling so well. glad that it all turned out so well. 0x0

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your cobbled yard too. Bloody cars!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very reliable cars, Fords.

    I once had one of those little Ka's and decided one day that the engine needed more oil (I just did). Later, as the oil overflowed from the cap all over the engine and onto the drive...

    ...out came the RAC and drained the lot. Very embarrassing. Blokes and tinkering eh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. ha! your little car is very cute. i'm in the market for a new one and Focus is one that i'm looking at. glad to know you like yours. and just so you know, it's not at all uncommon to "flood it". glad it turned out to be only that. happy day to you Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done Molly - I think that man in a van is very useful - I had to call on him when the battery went flat on the Astra - due - ahem! -to me leaving the lights on -Take care xx Jane

    ReplyDelete
  11. Molly it is so lovely to finally get a chance to catch up with you, hopefully I will have a chance to do so regularly again! Eek the car story, so glad it ended well, but how annoying, 'blonde moments' my daughter calls them, made for a lovely amusing blog story though!

    ReplyDelete